Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Desperate Housewife

No, I am not a fan of this show, in fact, I have not even watch a single episode. But I find the name so close to my heart now. Yes, I am desperate, extremely DESPERATE ... for Jeremiah to get more sleep.

This baby of mine is a SUPER light sleeper, if I would ever so gently put a blanket over him after he fall into deep asleep, he would still stir. Furthermore he sleeps on his tummy so I am covering his back and he knows! I know putting him on the tummy increase the risk of SID but it was almost my last resort already. He has been sleeping on his back for about 6 weeks and none of his nap lasted more than 15mins continuously due to baby's moro reflex. And patting him does not make him go back to sleep, I need to carry him and rock, then he would fall sleep again. Sometimes rocking does not work so I have to walk round and round the house to lull him to sleep. If that does not work, I dance or waltz with him. This can take 15mins to half an hour and he would wake up barely 15mins after I put him on the bed. HELP!

This fella loves to drink milk. Most babies fall into a 3-hr feeding cycle by the second month. Jeremiah started off with 1.5-hr feeding cycle then 2-hr cycle when he turn 1 month old. No matter day or night, he was just as punctual. The first month was really tough, I barely slept, my mind did not work properly at all. My only reflex that worked was just putting the baby to my breast when he cry. And he loves to sleep and nurse at the same time, perhaps that is the time he catch up on his sleep. I could not nurse and sleep at the same time so many times I was dozing off while nursing. After nursing, burping and changing his diaper, Jeremiah would then be wide awake. Hey, I thought babies would sleep after being fed? Arrrghhhh ...

Swaddling ... I could not bare to swaddle him when we brought him back home. Sofia was being swaddled for one month and I think that helped her to sleep well. But my emotions got the better of me and I did not swaddle Jeremiah. BIG MISTAKE. When I tried to swaddle him at one month old, it was too late, he ended up being angry and even more awake at night. So I tried letting him sleep in all sorts of places, from the bed to the baby recliner to the car seat ... nothing works. When R visited me two weeks ago, she suggested sleeping on the tummy and showed me the way to do it. R even taught me how to burp him on the shoulder and put him on the tummy from there. The first night was bad cos he could not turn his head so I woke up every hour ... to turn his head ... feed ... turn his head ... feed ... turn his head ...feed. It was a LONG night. I persevered. By the fourth night, he could actually turn his head himself and slept two hours straight till the next feeding, phew!

Sleeping on the tummy does work for the night but somehow, he does not sleep much during the day, even on his tummy. I decided to try the hammock over the weekend, it is my LAST resort. It has been two days and he cries real badly when I put him inside, I do not know what else I can do ... can someone please tell me?